Original Release: 10/10/2022
The City's current recycling agreement allows us to accept the following items, place these items in the Blue Cart:
- Metal food & beverage cans - emptied & rinsed
- Glass food & beverage bottles & jars - emptied & rinsed (any color, replace lids)
- Plastic bottles and jugs (no motor oil bottles) - emptied, rinsed and replace cap
- Paper & cardboard (no shredded paper)
Plastics We Recycle - Place Loosely into Blue Cart:
- Plastic bottles and jugs - If it is not shaped like a bottle or jug, with an opening or a neck that's narrower than the body, place it in the regular rubbish.
Plastics We Do Not Recycle - Put into Rubbish Cart:
There are plastics we do not recycle because there are no markets for the material, and the materials recovery facility will not accept them.
Do not recycle the following plastics:
- All plastics other than bottles & jugs
- Plastic bags, film or wrap - (Plastic bags wrap around the wheels of machinery at the materials recovery facility, which eventually shuts down the facility.)
- Plastic, single-use cups or berry and produce containers. These thermoform plastics are brittle and break apart while moving through the facility.)
- Flower pots. Empty plastic flower pots, packs and flats should be reused or placed in the rubbish for disposal.
- Plastic blister packaging. These thermoform plastics are brittle and break apart while moving through the recycling plant. The loose pieces will end up contaminating the glass or paper.
- Styrofoam packaging, Styrofoam cups and Styrofoam food containers.
- Plastic utensils
- Plastic Buckets or Pails - Consider reuse before placing into the rubbish
- Clothes hangers (plastic and metal)
- Empty motor oil and antifreeze jugs. These containers may have residue of the hazardous materials they held and should be placed in the rubbish, for proper disposal.
In addition to newspapers, magazines, catalogs, and corrugated cardboard, you can use the Blue Recycling Cart to recycle these paper products:
- Pizza boxes
- Junk Mail
- Paper grocery bags
- Office and computer paper
- Phone and paper backed books
- Cereal and cracker boxes
- Soda Cases etc.
- Paper egg cartons
- Magazines (including glossy print)
There Are Certain Papers That We Cannot Recycle:
- Wax coated boxes (i.e. milk cartons, juice boxes)
- Wet or soiled paper and cardboard
- Shredded paper
- Hard bound books
Single Stream Recycling Tips:
- Flatten your cardboard boxes and place them inside your recycling cart. If your cart is full and you have more cardboard please flatten and cut down to a 3' x 3' size, tied into manageable bundles and place next to your cart.
- Do not put plastic bags in your recycling cart.
- Flattening boxes, cans and plastic bottles will save space in your cart for other recyclables.
- Do not put rubbish, pet waste or yard waste in your Blue Recycling Cart.
☛ Carts containing rubbish or yard waste will not be collected! ☚
Most Common Recycling Errors:
- Using recycling cart for rubbish.
- Putting recycling in old buckets, bins or rubbish cans that we assume is rubbish.
- Not putting or placing recycling in a separate area - please place at least three feet from obstacles or other containers.
- Not cleaned or rinsed out - no food residue
- No window glass, ceramic dishes or cups.
- No small appliances - coffee makers, toasters, etc.
- No plastic buckets, bins, pails, rubbish cans, broken laundry baskets, rubbish can lids, milk crates, pop cases, etc.
- No Styrofoam (whole pieces or peanuts).
- Do not hide unacceptable items in recycling or rubbish: Paint, Styrofoam, etc.